BECOMING A SCARS VOLUNTEER
Becoming a Volunteer with a Crime Victims’ Assistance Organization is a tremendous opportunity to help others
SCARS is a professional government registered crime victims’ assistance nonprofit organization based in the United States, Mexico, and China, but we accept volunteers from everywhere in the world because we support victims worldwide.
We have several basic types of volunteering with SCARS:
- Reporting Volunteers focus on hunting for, identifying, and reporting scammers!
- Support volunteers focus on helping us in our support groups, leading victims to SCARS, and helping victims wherever they find them, and leading additional support groups.
- Chapter volunteers have taken responsibility for a country or region and include the responsibilities of both Support and Reporting. They may also include publishing on a SCARS page or website.
- Partners & Liaison Volunteers have a more specialized focus
- Professional Volunteers – to work with SCARS in professional or executive capacities to aid the broader community of victims and the longer-term goals of SCARS.
- Volunteering has no lengthy time commitment – we ask for 4 hours per month, but you can help as much or as little as you can, depending on the type of volunteer.
- Each of these will involve learning, knowledge, and training. It is important that our volunteers can provide real help and that takes a real understanding of scams and the needs of victims.
LEVELS OF SCARS VOLUNTEERING
Structure for SCARS Volunteers:
Volunteers select their preferred level of volunteering based upon their interests. A volunteer can start at different starting levels, it does not have to be the lowest level to begin, it just depends on the individual.
Volunteers can advance through our lavers based upon skill, desire, and commitment. This allows volunteers to participate with low levels of involvement or advance to strategically important roles within SCARS.
SCARS VOLUNTEER LEVELS:
- Level 0: Reporting Fakes & Scammers – this does not require any formalization – you don’t have to apply. You can simply report scammers on www.Anyscam.com or join one of our Facebook Reporting Groups (here).
- Level 1: Support Groups – help support other victims in our education or support groups or forums through encouragement, empathy, and support. Help other victims understand how scams work and how to seek recovery by sharing important information from SCARS – post SCARS articles and information links in reply to comments made by other victims.
- Level 2: Victims’ Support – learn to truly understand how scams work in practice and in the victim so that you can help guide a victim through their recovery as a peer – this allows full access to the SCARS resources and research library and includes potential participation in SCARS & Academic research projects to advance knowledge about cybercriminnology and victimology. This provides a pathway to professionalization and certification in crime victims’ assistance.
- Level 3: Chapter – assume responsibility for a country or region, providing the Victims’ Support functions, plus assisting by sharing news & official SCARS information and knowledge for an audience in that country or region.
- Level 4: Victims’ Educational Partner Status – this is for either informal/unincorporated anti-scam groups, publishers (bloggers), or incorporated or registered nonprofits that play a role in educating victims to avoid scams, cybercrime, and to better understand what happened to them. Some involvement in helping online crime victims is needed.
- Level 5: Victims’ Assistance Partner Status – this is for an informal/unincorporated anti-scam group that has certified or licensed professionals on their team, such as: attorneys, counselors & therapists (psychologists), law enforcement, certified victims assistance professionals, or similar professionals.
- Level 6: Victims’ Assistance Organizational Partner Status – must be an incorporated or registered nonprofit organization or association in their country with a focus on victims’ assistance and support, or other beneficial relationships with SCARS.
- Level 7: SCARS Executives, Advisors, Board Members, or Volunteer Officers
When you apply to become a SCARS Volunteer you will select the level that you feel is right for you.
To apply to become a Volunteer, Ambassador or Partner click here
SCARS Victims Services Provider Partner Status
In addition to the above, SCARS has a special Victims’ Services Provider Partner status. Contact us by email to inquire about becoming a Victim Service Provider Partner at contact@AgainstScams.org
SCARS VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
Here Are The Basics Of Volunteering With SCARS
These are requirements for becoming a SCARS VOLUNTEER
- Accept the Volunteer Service Agreement: «CLICK HERE»
- Read The SCARS Code of Conduct: «CLICK HERE»
- We will review the Volunteer Application and let you know when approved
Once the above has been completed, you will be asked to meet the minimum requirements for Volunteers and to begin learning more about the process of helping other victims.
There are considerable information documents in the SCARS Volunteer Group, but also on our www.RomanceScamsNOW.com website. Please make it a priority to start learning. This is for your own benefit and recovery as well as for those you will be helping!
As A SCARS VOLUNTEER We Ask You To:
- Provide constant feedback on our messaging, postings, and website articles. We need to hear from each volunteer for every item published that they see – in the form of comments (usually). This gives us feedback on what we publish, plus it helps break the ice for other people to comment as well.
- Supporting victims through your continuous comments and posts and actions – keeping scam victims engaged and talking is the most important thing you can do!
- Continue their learning on RomanceScamsNOW.com and even suggest ideas for new articles that we may not yet have covered.
- Providing correct knowledge / correcting urban legends and steering victims towards real answers & support. Remember, the largest repository of scam information is on www.RomanceScamsNOW.com.
- Participating in SCARS Zoom Calls.
- Participate in campaign, advocacy, or activism events, such as the recent #VOCAfix event.
- Participate in the monthly SCARS Volunteers’ Zoom call.
- Helping to notify management (SCARS management and our Senior Volunteer Managers) of issues/conflicts / upholding the rules for everyone’s safety – do not remove someone from a group without checking with Senior Volunteers or SCARS
- Help spread the existence of SCARS throughout social media
- Help victims wherever you find them
- Notifying SCARS of hate against victims and our organization
- Letting us know about noteworthy events, trends, and news
PLEASE NOTE: All Volunteers are expected to purchase the Volunteer bundle from our SCARS store – mug & shirt so they can represent SCARS on our calls and in public events. Visit shop.AgainstScams.org
Recognize that not all victims can be helped or saved. When you encounter someone too entrenched or difficult, just ask for help.
CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE READY TO APPLY TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
PLEASE NOTE: Acceptance for Volunteering is subject to review and is not automatic. You will be notified if accepted. We reserve the right to reject any applicant.
Society of Citizens Against Relationship Scams Inc.